Your Sniffing and Sneezing may be caused by winter allergies.
Have you been struggling with a cold for more than a week? Have your sinuses been stuffed, eye’s itchy, coupled with sneezing and fatigue? Maybe that winter cold you think you have may not be a cold at all but in fact winter allergies.
Winter Allergies vs. The Common Cold
For some this information may come as a shock. Typically people associate allergies with warmer seasons that carry pollen and other outdoor elements. But if you’re prone to allergies, chances are high that you may suffer from winter allergies as well. Winter allergies in Michigan are aggravated when people hunker down for the winter and settle into their homes to escape the elements.
Winter allergies are caused by a few different things such as:
- Pet dander
- Mold and mildew spores
- Dust mites
When you stay indoors during the winter, you increase your exposure to these aggravators, which may be the reason for the sneezing. The symptoms may seem similar but there are some tell tail signs on if your cold is actually a case of winter allergies.
Some Signs of Winter Allergies and What To Do
- Allergy symptoms stick around for longer than colds, colds typically last anywhere from 3 days to a week. If your symptoms last longer than a week, it may be allergies.
- Eyes are itchy with allergies
- Colds include body chills and fever spikes and body aches
- Nasal discharge is clear with allergies, colored with colds
Things you can do to help yourself:
- Taking allergy medication
- Cleaning your house regularly
- Changing your bedding frequently
- Get an appointment with you local physician for additional support
Because many of the symptoms can be pretty close to colds or possible a more serious condition, you should contact your doctor if they are or become severe.
If you think your cold is actually winter allergies, we here at Millennium Medical group can help you. We can help alleviate your allergies and get you back to full health. Call us at: 734.728.2130 in Westland or 248.474.2220 in Livonia for and appointment today!